NUDURA ICF system has many advantages over conventional construction
methods. It can be used from footings to eaves in multi-storey
construction. The following is a list of the benefits which may
be of interest to both designers and builders:
1. Least expensive method of constructing any energy efficient
construction project because most of the requirements are already
incorporated into the building envelope at no extra cost. The
cost of an ICF custom home can be less than 5% more than a conventionally
built home, and still provide the added benefit of much lower
energy costs. Multi-storey institutional and residential ICF buildings
can be built for similar costs in much less time than conventionally
2. The excavation can be made smaller than normal on confined
building lots as all forming is done from the inside. Only enough
room is needed to install the drain tile and waterproofing membrane,
provided adequate shoring is provided when necessary.
3. No drafts – no thermal bridges – zero air infiltration.
Basements and underground parking levels are no longer cold and
damp, and are ready for interior finishes without additional framing.
Above-grade walls provide a quiet, comfortable, fire-resistant
4. There is more flexibility in finished floor to ceiling heights
than with conventional concrete forming methods.
5. Can be constructed during the winter months without affecting
the quality or strength of the finished concrete wall. Concrete
can be poured in temperatures below minus 15C.
6. Reduced construction time. The building can be closed in rapidly
so trades can work inside comfortably during inclement weather
and maintain tight schedules.
7. Easily accepts wiring and plumbing with the use of a hot knife
or router, which quickly cuts a chase where required. Electrical
outlets never allow air infiltration. Draftproofing of boxes is
eliminated. In commercial construction, electrical conduit is
installed after the ICF walls are poured, eliminating the cost
of having electrical contractors on site during the forming process.
8. Basement walkouts are normally formed full height with NUDURA.
This provides an insulated frost wall to prevent cold from coming
in under the basement floor. Also, with the walkout poured full
height, you don’t have to deal with steps and indentations
when finishing the basement wall interiors.
9. Avoid the skyrocketing and fluctuating cost of lumber and exterior
sheathing. Concrete prices remain fairly stable.
10. Maintenance savings – no more aggravating nail pops
and drywall cracks due to the drying of framing lumber.
11. Stronger than conventional methods in the case of tornadoes
or hurricanes. Tested to withstand a category 5 hurricane with
winds of 250 mph.
12. A 50 to 75% reduction in heating costs is possible, as well
as improved interior comfort. Heating systems can often be downsized
(with a corresponding cost reduction) due to the reduced heat
loss calculations. An HRV or ERV is recommended due to the air
tightness of the building.
13. No problem with broken vapour barriers where interior partitions
intersect exterior walls.
14. Provides a surface ready to apply drywall, siding, brick or
stucco without the need for strapping. Full height polyethylene
webs, which are buried ½” into the foam on each face
at 8” o/c., are molded into the forms to provide secure
attachment for nails or screws as well as giving maximum form
strength. The indentations in the webs provide for quick and easy
placement of reinforcement bars. The wide variety of NUDURA form
units available make any design possible, however complex it may
15. When used for above grade walls it provides a sound reduction
rating (STC) in excess of 50 which virtually eliminates noise
transmission from outside.
16. NUDURA can easily accommodate the design requirements of other
building systems (eg. wood joists, hambro floor and precast concrete
17. The unique bracing system provides a safe working platform,
while ensuring straight and plumb walls.
18. We offer technical support for building issues, liaison with
local building officials, on-site installation support and project
19. NUDURA ICF has been thoroughly tested for complete Ontario
Building Code compliance, as well as compliance with building
codes throughout North America and Europe.
20. Satisfied clients!